Monday, December 3, 2018

Major apollo Milestone and a Change That Impacts Me





apollo

A big milestone that I wanted to complete was to change the legacy code that I had before deciding to open source apollo into a working codebase with the new database architecture. Previously - for the sake of simplicity - I stored all of the recording information in one table. This means that every new instance would have the recording name, artist name, label name, genres, etc. in one table. Moving forward, I decided to create seperate tables for Recording, Artist, Genre, Label, and Producer. This means that my old code that would fetch and input information wouldn't work anymore and would have to be changed to reflect the new architecture.

In my previous major commit, I added the functionality to input new recordings. In this commit, I added the functionality to update recordings that may already be present in the database.

Now that this milestone is finished, I am comfertable with being able to introduce this project to others. While it is still in its early infancy stages, riddled with bugs, I hope that I'll be able to get a working version up soon to be able to attract people to my project.

Focus

While using Focus as my goto browser, I noticed something about one of their features that I didn't like. When browsing a site, such as github, I would turn on the "Request Destop Version" for an easier browsing experience. What I don't like is that whenever you go to a subdomain of the website, the destop version does not persist - you have to continuously request for the desktop version whenever you go to a new page. I was going to file an issue on the github but found that one has already been made months before. I am planning on fixing this issue. This is the first issue that I'll be fixing that will actually change the way that I want to use the application. It's a good feeling to be able to change something about an app that you use daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment