Saturday, October 13, 2018

Hacktober II

This is my second blog post in my Hacktober Series. Throughout these 5 blog posts I hope to explain my introductory work into contributing to Open Source Software.

What I Worked On

After my first Pull Request to Mozilla's focus browser for iOS, I saw that a new issue was opened in the repo - one that was very similar to the bug that I just fixed.

I made a comment on the issue that I could work on it as it related very closely to my previous pull request and began to look through it. Unlike my previous work that took me a couple days to fix, this one took me less that 10 minutes. It was so closely linked to what I previously worked on that I immediately knew what the problem was and how to fix it.

The fix itself was less than a line long - all I had to do was change the object that was being affected by the functions. I changed the code from addGestureRecognizer(singleTap) to textAndLockContainer.addGestureRecognizer(singleTap).

When I first sent in the pull request, I undervalued the work a lot. I didn't think that a commit this small was anything to be proud of. But then I realized that this fix that took me less than 10 minutes to fix was only possible because of my past commit that took over 2 days to fix. If I tried to fix this bug without having fixed the previous bug, I'm sure it would have taken me much longer to figure out.

Through this fix, I've learned that what may seem and look like a simple fix to someone who has worked with the code before, may not be as simple to someone coming in for the first time. It was also a very good introduction to how previous fixes are great at paving the road for future fixes.

The more you work, the more you learn, the quicker and more simple fixes seem to be. The more you work on a project, the more familiar you become with how to continue improving it.

My Pull Requests

No comments:

Post a Comment